}

Saturday 9 January 2016

Lifestyle : Slim Fast High Protein Shakes Review...





Greetings and a happy new year to you all! I hope you all had a great Christmas and new year? 

So, its January now and things are getting back to normal. If you're like most of the population, you will have made a resolution or two? One of those resolutions is probably to eat and drink more healthily? If so, read on...

Recently while I was in the queue in Superdrug, I happened to see masses of Slim Fast products gracing the shelves, beautifully merchandised. Upon closer inspection, I saw the price and thought ''Excellent, I'll be trying some of those!'' 

I have never tried any Slim Fast products before but after reading the labels and taking into account the great offer (carry on reading for info!) I decided to pick a selection to try.

Shakes are appealing to me and many others as they're quick, nutritious, easy to digest, a great source of protein, can be drank on the go and are great tasting. They also make fantastic post workout drinks and in between meal snacks.

There are many flavours available. Not pictured flavours are; Blissful Banana, Summer Strawberry, Simply  and Vanilla.
Here's what I got...I chose two powdered ''make yourself'' shakes and two ready to drink shakes.

Caramel Temptation, Chunky Chocolate, Cafe Latte and Choca Mocha.


Caramel Temptation. 438g. £3.49 (at time of purchase).

The powdered formula requires a milk of your choice, two scoops and a shaker or blender, very quick and very easy! This caramel flavoured shake is so delicious. It's white in colour and doesn't smell or taste 'chemically' at all. It tastes smooth, not too sweet, flavoursome and a bit like fudge! Just add two scoops (scoop included) to your favourite milk. I have made this up with coconut milk and almond milk and both work fantastically. Absolutely no lumps, bits or grit. It is 100% smooth.  It's the perfect balance of everything. Lovely.


Chunky Chocolate. 450g. £3.49 (at time of purchase).

Despite the name of Chunky Chocolate, this one isn't overly chocolately, of which I am glad. This powder is brown in colour and not 'chemically' to taste or pungent in smell. Chunky Chocolate tastes just like a deliciously smooth chocolate milkshake. Again I made this with both coconut milk and almond milk and both give a lovely smooth shake. I absolutely love this one. Tip : Making this with coconut milk  makes this taste a bit like a bounty! *hurrah*

Cafe Latte. 325ml. £1.32 (at time of purchase).

I bought this whilst out shopping to have on the way home. This is soooooo creamy tasting and delicious. It's smooth, not sweet but not bland, very flavoursome and as with the powdered shakes, there are no lumps, gritty bits or hidden nasties at the bottom of the bottle! Oh my goodness, I love this, it tastes exactly how it should. I cannot fault it at all. 

Choca Mocha. 325ml. £1.32 (at time of purchase).

The last of the bunch, Choca Mocha. Well done, slim fast. All four of these taste exactly as they should and are utterly delicious. This one tastes a perfect mix of coffee and chocolate, with less of a creamy taste that you'll find in 'Cafe Latte' but equally delicious. No lumps, no bits, just a smooth tasting delicious shake *big thumbs up*

These shakes have certainly excelled on the taste front, lets see how they fare with their macronutrients...


Choca Mocha shake. 325ml.


First off, all of the shakes contain the same array of vitamins, minerals, protein, carbohydrates and fibre. It is worth however noting that there are slight differences between the macronutrients in the ready made shakes and in the powdered shakes - and dependent on flavour.

The ready to drink shakes are slightly less in calories and protein per 100ml compared to the powdered form. The ready to drink shakes have 4.3g of protein per 100ml whereas the powdered formula has 5.3g of protein per 100ml.

The ready made shakes have around 63 calories per 100ml and the powdered formula's have approximately 87 calories per 100ml, which would vary dependent on which milk you use.

But the main point is, both variants of shake are high in vitamins, minerals, fibre and protein and relatively low in sugar compared to many other 'health drinks'. 

Each one of these shakes provides between 206-230 calories, which is just 10% of your recommended daily allowance, based on 2000 kcal for an average adult.

Pros :
  • High in protein
  • High in vitamins/minerals
  • Affordable
  • Readily available
  • Good choice of flavours
  • Great tasting
  • Ideal for an active lifestyle
  • Perfect for in between meals
Cons :

  • Contains lactose
  • May contain gluten
  • Not suitable for vegans



Which do I prefer? 

The reason I've added this part in, is this... both formula's are very similar in the nutrients and protein they provide but one has more flexibility and offers better value for money.

The powdered formula is my favourite. Why? When preparing the powdered shakes, you are free to switch up the liquid you use. You could use soya milk, coconut milk, dairy etc or even water. In addition to this, when blending up your shake, you could add fruit, flaxseed or chia seeds etc making it much more of a meal and even more nutritious and filling.

Conclusion

I am really enjoying these shakes and have since been back to Superdrug and bought some other flavours! I think they are fabulous for in between meals, for on the go, for breakfast, as a post workout shake and even for giving to children as a healthy alternative to a milk shake (they won't notice the difference!) 

I'm so glad I decided to try both formula's and I've really enjoyed every single shake I have had. They quash hunger, fit in with my busy lifestyle and stop me reaching for other less healthy snacks so for that, I am thankful! 

Whether you are trying to slim or not, I'd still recommend these shakes because everyone needs well measured nutrients, sugars, fibre, fats and protein in their diets, DAILY! And I know it's not always easy to fit them in due to hectic lifestyles etc.

So, well done Slim fast. These shakes are great and I will definitely repurchase them when I have ran out.

Slim Fast products are available in Superdrug (where they're currently on offer!) Boots and other pharmacies. You can also check out the Slim Fast Page for product information, tips, motivation and recipes etc.

What do you think?

Have you tried any Slim Fast products?

What do you recommend? 

As always, thanks for reading. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below.

Many thanks


No comments:

Post a Comment