}

Monday 25 November 2013

How to beat Winter skin..





It's almost that time of the year again. Winter is upon us and the cold weather can play havoc with your immunity, your skin, your hair and it can make you feel and look generally...blurgh!

We all want dewy, soft, healthy looking skin. But, with the wintery, blizzard like conditions outside and desert like conditions inside, skin can become red, dry, parched and problematic.

Your skin needs a bit of extra TLC during these cold months. The skin care products you were using in summer, may need to be changed.

Firstly, I am going to BRIEFLY mention 'Diet and Exercise' (I could write an essay on it!) Without a doubt, beautiful and healthy looking skin comes from within. Lifestyle and diet are key to healthy looking skin.

Eating a healthy diet rich in fruit, oats, nuts and seeds, avocados, oily fish, yogurt will really improve the tone and luminosity of your skin. (I can vouch for this!)

Your fluid intake should be water, water and more water. Water not only flushes out toxins giving you clearer skin but it also hydrates your whole body giving your face a smoother plump appearance. This is exactly what you want to be doing, especially in conditions that are trying to dry your skin out! 

Want a rosy glow? Exercise! If you can't bear to exercise at this time of year, go for a brisk walk outside. This will get the blood rushing to your cheeks in no time! This blood contains oxygen and nutrients which tone and nourish your face!

Fret ye not, I am here to help!

Now, onto my favourite skin care products to give you even more help in stopping Winter's evil antics in it's tracks.


FACE


Bio-Oil 

The first time I bought this was August this year! (I know). Oh Bio-oil, it took a while but I am soooo glad we met. This is the best product I have EVER applied to my face. That's quite a statement but it's true. I bought this to treat a small scar and was reluctant to use it all over my face as my skin can be sensitive and doesn't like fragrance. But my skin loves this. I have been using it for 3 months now and it hasn't broke me out! Yay!

I bought the 200ml bottle when it was on offer for £13. People think this is expensive stuff but it works and I have only used approx 50ml in 3 months!! That's an investment.

The oil itself  contains the following:

Botanicals

Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract (Calendula Oil)
Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (Lavender Oil)
Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil (Rosemary Oil)
Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil (Chamomile Oil)

Vitamins

Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) 
Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)

There is also a mix of oils, fragrance and colour.

I cannot praise this enough. I use it every night and sometimes in the morning too. Make-up will apply over this also, just give it time to soak in a bit!

Whether you have scars or stretch marks or not? You need this skin saviour in your life. Apply this in the evening and your skin will look better by morning. Trust me!

N.B If this is a bit pricey, Aldi do a similar oil called 'Re-gen oil' and it is much cheaper! ;-)




Aloe soothing day cream - The Body Shop.

This is my other facial product of choice. I have used this for years as I like my skin care to have as little fragrance and unnecessary ingredients in them as possible! 

Aloe Vera is renowned for treating skin problems such as redness, eczema, burns and rashes etc. This face cream does just that. It makes your skin appear smoother and it is very gentle and soothing. I apply this every morning as make-up is easier to apply over this than the Bio-oil!


LIPS


Lansinoh HPA LANOLIN.

OK, ok so this is ''technically'' for cracked and sore nipples but, hear me out!
Have you ever smiled and felt your lip crack? (Ouch!).
Cue HPA Lanolin! Marketed as the World's purest lanolin nipple cream. 100% natural, safe and hypoallergenic. I have used this for a year and think it is fantastic value for money, bigger and better than any lip balm. It leaves a lovely subtle gloss effect to your lips, no need for gloss here! This tube is 40ml and cost £5.99 (It normally retails for £9.99). I have a lot of product left too.

This is also a great alternative to the much hyped (very expensive) 'Lanolips'.

Superdrug have this on offer currently for £6.66 ;-)


HANDS


Hemp Hand Protector - The Body Shop.

My holy grail hand cream. Nothing compares. Well, nothing I have tried anyway.

The Hemp range from 'The Body Shop' is marketed as for very dry skin. Thus making it ideal for your frozen, dry and hardworking handies. I love the formulation of this and how my hands feel instantly after applying it. Two moisturised thumbs up for value for money also, a little goes a long way.

I have seen many comments and reviews on the scent of the hemp range. Most of them stating they dislike the scent. I, however have no issues with the scent at all. In fact, I really like it! 

I have the 100ml tube which costs £10. There is also a 30ml tube available but that one is not as good value for money, coming in at £5.

This is one for your handbag (or man-bag, Gentlemen).


GLOVE UP



After applying your hand cream...GLOVE UP!! wearing gloves traps moisture in your hand region, thus reducing the whole drying out process. 

Washing your hands often will also dry them out so switch to a hand sanitiser when possible and keep applying that hand cream. 

'Hand Food' by Soap & Glory is another ''mitt moisturiser'' I really like.


BODY


Palmer's Cocoa Butter

One word. Palmer's. I needn't say any more. I will, but I needn't. Palmer's has been around since the middle of the Nineteenth Century and their products are still flying off the shelves today. The reasons...Vitamin E and Cocoa butter are THEE two most skin loving, moisturising elements your can put on your skin. Ever. The price of this is incredible, it is really inexpensive and widely available all over the U.K and the world. The smell is divine, it smells like vanilla, chocolate and nourishing lushness. Caution: You may want to eat it or lick yourself, please don't!

There are a lot of Palmer's products available but I favour this one, the original. It is so rich and moisturising. It is also really good for increasing your skin's elasticity, thus improving stretch marks and uneven or sagging skin.

A true cult classic, some things are best kept simple. This is one of them. Give me a Palmer's product over an expensive high end cream any day.

400ml £5.29 (currently!).


SUNSCREEN

Last but not least...sunscreen, sun cream, SPF, whatever you want to call it; it is not just for summer time.  Winter sun, combined with snow glare can still damage your skin. I always wear a moisturiser and/or foundation with an SPF of at least 15.

I hope this blogpost helps some (or all) of you with your skin dilemmas this winter.

What are your winter skin saviours?

Will you be trying any of my recommendations?

Please leave a comment below and check out my other pages (all links are at the top right of this page).

Thanks for stopping by.

Bye for now, Jude x.


No comments:

Post a Comment